To dive into the world of privacy an individual need to acquaint themselves with the necessary certifications. IAPP has developed a globally recognized certification program related to privacy. By now other privacy laws have started coming up along with the stringent Gdpr laws therefore it is essential for the professionals seeking to get a career in the privacy field which is best suited for them.
At present privacy certifications are provided by the IAPP with different objectives, here we will discuss the difference between CIPP and CIPM certifications and who can benefit from them, and what area they covered.
CIPP /US vs CIPP/E
The majority of privacy professionals are unsure about whether they should choose CIPP or CIPM. To respond to this query, let’s first compare CIPP/US and CIPP/E. After that, we’ll talk about CIPP/US (or E) vs. CIPM.
CIPP /US vs CIPP/E
The abbreviation CIPP stands for certified privacy professional. There are numerous variations of it.
It has CIPP/US for United States privacy laws.
- The American legal framework governing privacy is taken into consideration here.
- It includes the US legal system, federal and state regulators, and laws governing data breach notification and privacy enforcement.
- It also covers substantive law, such as HIPAA for healthcare, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and discussions of workplace privacy
- It mainly covers the GDPR.
- Additionally mentioned are European Union treaties.
- GDPR laws, including data protection, data processing principles, data subject rights, and international data transfers are all covered.
- In addition to GDPR, topics including employment relationships and direct marketing regulations are also covered.
How to Choose?
Most US-based professionals choose CIPP/US, but some of them choose CIPP/E to set themselves apart from the competition. This is also because the majority of the organization conducts business in the EU.
Most privacy experts who want to learn more about the relevant laws choose CIPP. Otherwise, they usually pick CIPM or a combination of the two to manage privacy within their organization.
CIPP US/ vs CIPM
We deduced from the above discussions that CIPP/US is generally about substantive privacy rules in the US, whereas CIPM Certification focuses on managing privacy.It is an abbreviation of certified Information Privacy Manager.
The topics covered by the CIPM include establishing an organization’s privacy vision and goal, choosing the best privacy framework, designing a privacy strategy, and supporting the formation of a privacy team. Policies, data assessments, data breach incident plans, training and awareness, monitoring, and program performance audits are the other aspects.
A few significant American and European laws are also highlighted by CIPM, though considerably less so than in CIPP/E and CIPP/US.
CIPP US and CIPP/E vs CIPM
The primary deciding factor right now is what you want to learn. If you want to manage privacy in your organization, choose CIPM certification or if you are more interested in the substantive rules, choose CIPP/US.
While CIPP primarily consists of regulations, CIPM certification primarily consists of privacy management along with information management and information security.
Who may be your clients or employers:
- International businesses with privacy and data protection departments are looking to hire staff that have a better awareness of multiple jurisdictions’ data protection laws;
- Multiple nations have startups that must abide by international data protection laws.
- Small to medium-sized tech legal firms
- Global businesses seeking direction on how to comply with data protection requirements for websites and contracts.
Reasons to do Privacy certifications
- Stand out: To stand out from the crowd, you must be distinctive and possess a reference for your in-depth knowledge.
- Make an impression on hiring managers: Hiring agents use certificates and other keywords to choose candidates’ CV’s to hire candidates.
- Promotion: These certifications may be useful for internal promotion. Since this certification demonstrates your expertise in the relevant field,
- Expertise proof: These certifications provide evidence that an employee has an in-depth understanding of the specific topic or issues at hand.
- Client assurance: Having this certification is evidence of your expertise in the field, which gives clients confidence in you when using the company’s services.
After deciding which certification is best for you, you might be wondering if you should prepare for it yourself or seek out training.
The solution is there, if you can afford it, you can prepare for a certification exam, and you’ll not only learn but also get to know other professionals and hear about their experiences.
One can look to the privacy certification training offered by Tsaaro Academy, where they can get all of their exam-related questions answered and pass with flying colors. After passing the exam, one is then deemed to know the necessary to design data privacy programs.