Who is DPO?
The implementation of Data protection and data privacy strategy within an organization can be done through the Data protection officer. The introduction of GDPR provided the idea of formal DPO Position, According to Article 37 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), all public authorities and bodies will be required to designate a Data Protection Officer (DPO). Private sector organizations that on a large scale as part of their core activities regularly and systematically monitor data subjects or process sensitive personal data will also have to appoint a DPO. The language of GDPR indicates that the size of an organization is not what compels the need for DPO, but rather the size and scope of data handling. Unfortunately, the GDPR failed to explain handling large scale data and no guidelines around the scale of data handling is also provided. Generally, most of the small businesses will not be required a DPO unless their core focus is data collection or storage.
Data Protection officer Skills and experience
Article 37 of the GDPR states, “The data protection officer shall be designated on the basis of professional qualities and, in particular, expert knowledge of data protection law and practices and the ability to fulfill the tasks…” Many experts agree that a DPO should be a licensed lawyer that has sufficient knowledge of not only GDPR but other privacy laws that are important to the employer. At a minimum, a legal background is helpful for understanding and interpreting the complex legal requirements surrounding data privacy. In addition to knowing what the various laws and regulations say, a DPO must also have knowledge about how these laws are interpreted and applied in case law. DPO should have practical experience in the area of cybersecurity. The DPO should also have experience in dealing real security incidents that will help them to give proper guidance on countermeasures, risk assessments and data protection impact assessment.
Four ways to become a Data protection officer
- Educational Qualification – Have a degree in information security, computer science or a similar field. And equivalent work experience in privacy, compliance, information security, auditing, or a related field will often be considered.
- Career Path – After 10+ years of expertise in various privacy fields such as privacy program and policy, privacy law, information governance, incident response, information security, training, and awareness, etc.
- Certifications – In today’s corporate world, to obtain client data, to comply with new regulations they look for Technology teams who handles the data must also be extremely clear about tracking and managing it, including categorising and storing it. In this case, the recruiters need privacy professional experts to manage data privacy. Certifications demonstrate that you are well-equipped with the knowledge and expertise in Data privacy management. Thus, during recruitment, the recruiters hire individuals who hold privacy certifications such as C-DPO, CIPM, CIPP/E, CISM, CIPP/Us etc.
- Experience– 5 years of experience in privacy and compliance related risk management positions are required to become DPO.
Which privacy certification will help you become DPO professional ?
Organizations need to protect their data more and more as data protection becomes increasingly significant. Not following data protection standards can result in unsafe scenarios that could undermine an organization’s credibility, reputation, and financial situation in addition to breaching people’s fundamental rights and freedoms. This is where your data protection officer abilities come in handy, and C-DPO certification online is exactly what you need. The TSAARO ACADEMY presents you an exclusive C – DPO certificate course. It has three level of certification
- C-DPO Foundations
- C-DPO Intermediate
- C-DPO Practitioner
C-DPO Foundations – The data privacy courses online are not created keeping in mind the market trends. The Tsaaro Academy have introduced the C- DPO Foundation course which will equip the learners with the knowledge and skills required to secure an entry-level position in the data privacy sector.
C- DPO Intermediate – Tsaaro Academy has created a realistic C- DPO Intermediate. This comprehensive C- DPO Intermediate will progress from the fundamental legal requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Protection Law of the United Arab Emirates, the Data Protection Act of Kenya, and other international laws to a practical experience in data protection compliance. Data mapping, important internal or external policy considerations, the practical application of Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs), handling personal data breach and incident response, dealing with Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs), evaluating vendors, requirements for international data transfers, and documentation are all covered in this certified C- DPO Intermediate course.
C-DPO practitioner – The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) marked the beginning of a new era of data protection. The various data protection laws enacted across the globe come with a variety of compliances such as conducting Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA), recording processing activities, and appointment of Data Protection Officers (DPOs) or what activities need to be performed in case of a data breach. A DPO is a mandatory requirement under many data protection laws. Many data protection laws across the world prescribe stringent penalties for non-compliance. Hence, most of the well-known companies in the world are desperately hiring DPOs to ensure compliance. There is no formal qualification required to become a DPO. However, you must be an expert in demonstrating compliance with different data protection laws. The Certified Tsaaro – Data Protection Officer (C-DPO Practitioner) course can help you. The C-DPO Practitioner certification is a flagship program designed for privacy professionals aspiring to become DPO. The system has the right curriculum combining all the requisite skills required to become a DPO.
Why you should enroll in C-DPO Certification ?
- The rationale for data privacy.
- Generalities and comparison between GDPR, CCPA, and Kenya Data Protection Law and UAE’s regulation.
- Attain a thorough understanding of the current Data Protection legislation and the underlying principles.
- Identify the difference between personal and sensitive data and how to process each type of data.
- Gain a good understanding of the concepts and principles and their application in the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Be able to understand some of the main tenets of GDPR such as privacy impact assessments, privacy by design, data breaches etc.
- Understand the role of the Data Protection Officer (DPO) within the organization.
- Ascertain how Data Privacy works and applies to your organization.
- To establish data protection compliance program
- Understanding the regulatory requirements under GDPR
- To incorporate GDPR principles in the organisation
- Manage and map the personal data
- Key considerations for drafting privacy policies, cookie policies and internal policies
- Security measures to protect the personal data
- To Conduct Data Protection Impact Assessment
- To respond to data breach and notification requirements
- Understanding ISO Controls and documentation of PCDA